What You Need to Apply for Your Licence
Applying for you licence is easy…
To get your first provisional driving licence online for a car, motorcycle or moped you need to:
- be a resident of Great Britain
- meet the minimum age requirement
- meet the minimum eyesight requirement
- not be prevented from driving for any reason
- pay £50 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro or Delta debit or credit card
- have a valid UK passport or other form of identity
- have your National Insurance number if known
- provide addresses where you’ve lived for the last 3 years
You can apply up to 3 months before you can start driving. You can normally start driving on your 17th birthday if you want to drive a car and your 16th birthday if you want to drive a motorcycle or moped.
If you’re getting the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) you can drive at 16.
If you apply online you’ll be agreeing that DVLA can check your personal data, including your National Insurance number.
DVLA will confirm your details with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). If DVLA can’t fully verify your identity, you’ll be told what to do at the end of the application.